Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Inspiration from a blank existence

This artwork is part of the Mosaic Templar Cultural Center permanent collection
1. Little Boy Solomon  2. Little Girl Sarah

As a student studying American history, the only thing I remember about black people during the civil war was steeped in agony. The history told about black people during this time has been regulated to tragedy, and property.  Their personality has been stripped from history.  Who really were these people?

Like so many African-Americans, there are only a few things we can refer back to that gives us a glimpse into the life of our early African-American ancestors. In my case, all I have are two names. They are my great grand parents Solomon and Sarah. 

Everything else I know about our early African-American ancestors is found in the economic, social and political structure of the time. What it must have felt like to live in a culture that only valued you by how much cotton you can pick.  I can’t image living in a blank existence.  That your life you have is no worth recording.

“Little Boy Solomon” and “Little Girl Sarah”, which are now on display at the Mosaic Templar Cultural Center in Little Rock, Arkansas, are my interpretation of African American slave life.  Surviving through a blank existence that supported a culture of greed, ignorance and oppression is something I can’t image. 


But even in this agony, there is inspiration. African Americans who live in America are the results of great endurance, patience and strength.  Our ancestors survived a tragic life in order for us to tell there great story.  That story is found in the blood of our souls.  I pray that God allows me the time, strength and courage to tell that beautiful story.  

What the civil war means for the African American Experience in Arkansas
2014 Creativity Arkansas Art Collection "What the civil war means for the African American Experience in Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment